Monday, February 9, 2009






Adaar Kuchi!

This is a kind of condiment prepared in bengali households and is a must during festivals. Served generally with Luchis/ Kochuris along with spicy vegetable dishes. It is very simple and can be preserved for months.
You take 2-3 large sized Ginger, preferrably smooth skinned ones.
Cut off any protuding parts and gently peel off the skin. Keep aside the protuding parts.
Take one thumb of ginger about 2 inches lenght.
Slice the peeled ginger lengthwise. The slices would be very thin.
Take 2-4 slices and stack one above the other, and cut them lenghtwise into very thin matchsticks.
Take a glass bowl and put the sliced ginger into it.
Add salt, green/red chillies (cut into thin rings) and generous amount of fresh lemon juice to it (2-3 lemons approx).

My grandma used to keep the bowl under Sun. But I refridgerate it.

The ginger slices would turn reddish and becomes soft.

Serve with Luchis !!!

You can even add a pinch of sugar to give is a more reddish texture.









5 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful blog. Your recipes dekhe barir kotha mone pore gelo. :-)
    Adar kuchi is new to me ... am definitely going to try making it. Will keep visiting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Sharmila!! Your blog is very interesting :) Liked your posto bora!!! Will definitely try it soon!!
    Please keep visiting my blog for more recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, first time on your blog. It is really nice. Loved all the recipes and pictures, specially the fish on the top bar. Koun fish?
    Keep posting more Bengali food. Have added you to my blogroll.
    Happy Cooking....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You Sanhita!! You too have a nice blog :) I like your Chikchen Kurma! My mouth starts watering seeing the yummy gravy...I almost cud smell the lovely aroma and visualise myself savouring it...slurp!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! that fish on the top bar of my blog is 'Baata' Maachch.

    ReplyDelete